One day, I started calculating how much money I spent a year at nail salons. When I saw the total, I was mortified. As a result, I decided to find a simple, fast way to paint my nails at home. I hate chipped nail polish, so I really wanted a process that kept my nail polish on for at least a week. Girls, let me tell ya... I have found the BEST way! It heals your nails, only takes about 30 minutes, and doesn't chip.
- Nail File
- Nail Clippers
- CND Cuticle Eraser: This is the only product I have found that makes my cuticles completely disappear!
- Wooden Sticks: After I put on the CND Cuticle Eraser, I push back my cuticles with these wooden sticks and clean up the excess with the Tweezerman Cuticle Nipper.
- Tweezerman Cuticle Nipper
- Nailtiques Formula 2: This will strengthen your nails. I use it every other time I give myself a manicure because it makes my nails grow long and fast. I couldn't recommend this enough if you have damaged nails from getting gel or dip manicures.
- Gelous: This is the "bonder" for your polish. I put this on both before and after I put on my color. It gives your nails the look and longevity of a gel manicure without having a gel manicure. This was a bit harder to find but I recommend looking at Sally Beauty or Amazon.
- Seche Vite: This top coat is magical. It keeps your manicure in place for a week and dries in about five minutes!
- Essie or OPI Polish: Honestly, Essie and OPI polish last the longest on my nails. My favorite colors? Ballet Slippers, Trophy Wife, Cajun Shrimp, and Lincoln Park After Dark.
- L'Occitane Hand Cream: The best hand cream on the market. Your hands will thank you.
- Essie Cuticle Oil: I use this every other night on my cuticles after I put on hand cream. Then I put on cashmere gloves and go to sleep so the moisturizer can soak into my hands and nails.
- Confetti Storage Bag: This cute bag is definitely needed to store all your nail products!
- Remove polish then cut and file nails to desired length.
- Apply CND Cuticle Eraser and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Push back nails with wooden stick and trim cuticles with Tweezerman Cuticle Nipper.
- Apply 1 coat of Nailtiques.
- Apply 1 coat of Gelous.
- Apply 2-3 coats of desired polish.
- Apply 1 coat of Gelous.
- Apply 1 coat of Seche Vite.
- Go to sleep or wait about 30 minutes then apply hand cream.
If you need to clean up your nails after you paint them then I recommend pouring some nail polish remover in cap of the bottle and dipping a cheap brush into it to clean up around the nails.
There you have it, friends! My favorite way to get a simple, at home manicure. I still splurge occasionally and get a pedicure or gel polish, but I try to save those for a special events. I haven't tried a dip manicure, yet, but it's on my list!
What are your favorite types of manicures? Regular polish, dip, or gel? What are your favorite polish colors lately?!